IBSA Fund Annual Report- STATE OF PALESTINE
State of Palestine
Supporting Programme Opportunities in Recreational and Team Sports
Mostly contributing to:
Palestinian National Authority; Ministry of Youth; Sharek (an NGO); UNDP/Programme of Assistance to the Palestinian People (PAPP)
This project built and equipped a 1,000 m2 multipurpose sports complex in Ramallah. The complex offers indoor soccer, fencing, snooker, gymnastics, table tennis, volleyball and badminton facilities, a fitness room, a clinic and spectator stands. The project also organized and set up youth sports leagues.
- Over 23 organizations and more than 6,600 persons have used the 1,000 m2 sports facility that was built and equipped by this project.
- Team skills and leadership qualities were promoted through the establishment of sports leagues for youths ages 5 to 17 for soccer, basketball, volleyball and swimming.
- Volunteerism was encouraged through family participation in volunteer coaching. The project increased participation in track and field events.
- This type of project may face legal and technical difficulties in the initial phase with regard to land ownership or construction.
- Soil conditions at the building site and price increases caused delays but a slight increase in the budget was approved and construction was completed.